In July, 1992, the Rampart Range School District donated the original teacherís residence (teacherage) to the Pikes Peak Historical Society (then operating as the Florissant Heritage Foundation).
The teacherage was built sometime after 1907, and served as a residence for teachers at Florissantís 1887 schoolhouse. Sometime in the early 1960s, when Florissantís school closed, the building was moved to Woodland Park. It sat on the east side of what is currently the Woodland Park Cultural Center but formerly served as the Woodland Park Middle School. When the city began renovations of the Cultural Center, it was necessary to remove the teacherage, so it was donated to the Society at this time.
In 1992, the Pikes Peak Historical Society returned this early 1900ís teacherís residence from Woodland Park to its original foundation next to the 1887 schoolhouse. The Society then completely restored the building and it now houses the Societyís Florissant Schoolhouse Museum. This project is valued at over $40,000, and was accomplished entirely with donations of labor, money, and materials.
Now called the Florissant Schoolhouse Museum, the teacherage houses a vintage collection of 1800s school desks, books and other schoolhouse memorabilia. In addition, it is home to a beautiful collection of over 50 miniature historic buildings by well-known artist Ken Goehring.
Goehring was born in Evansville, Wisconsin, and first came to Colorado Springs in 1948 to study at the Fine Arts Center Art School. He was a veteran and studied under the G.I. Bill of rights. Since then, Goehring has lived and painted in Colorado Springs where his abstract expressionist works have earned him a nationwide reputation and several prestigious awards. His work has been exhibited all over the country, in cities from San Francisco to Washington, D.C. and from Miami to Boston.
The Florissant Schoolhouse Museum is located at 2009 Teller County Road #31, at the intersection of Wildhorn and Teller County Road #31 in Florissant, Colorado. The Museum is owned and operated by the Pikes Peak Historical Society, and is open by appointment only. Please call 719-748-8259 for more information or to make an appointment.